Between The Lines

TanDrex (A Matt Lilburn Novel)

TanDrex: A Matt Lilburn novel (TanDrex. A Matt Lilburn novel) - Stuart Handley

Author: Stuart Handley

Published: March 2014 by Stuart Handley

Category: Crime/Thriller/Suspense

'Every now and again someone dares to challenge greed and corruption. When evil comes up against a raw boned soldier of justice – all hell breaks loose.
Follow Matt Lilburn as he locks forces with a corrupt United States governor and his perverted son as they try to sell the code for a machine that makes the invention of computers seem trivial.
By the time you finish reading the book, you will know why they call this invention — God technology.'

I was supplied with a digital copy in return for an honest review

Nanotechnology and, more specifically, Productive Replicator development has just been completed and due to exploitation and abuse of power is about to go on sale to the highest bidder. If this extremely crucial scientific discovery falls into the wrong hands it could cause untold devastation.

Matt Lilburn, ex special forces who now works for Homeland Security, and his brother Duncan, a scientist central to the development of the technology, are thrust into life and death situations. It’s a race to stop the individuals who will stop at nothing to gain the code for their own unscrupulous ends. It’s down to Matt and his team to put a halt to the corruption and greed before everything he holds dear is destroyed.

'Wasting no time he drew his weapon, cocked it, then taking a low stance bowled the door open with his shoulder and entered the darkened room at an angle. Two hands gripped the pistol as he rolled to the side avoiding silhouetting himself at the door….Adrenalin sharpened his senses. He slowed his breathing, listening for any movement, anything that might give away a person’s location in the room.'

This is actually a very scarily plausible premise and begs the question how far should research and development go before it becomes a tool for immeasurable good or conversely a hazard to humanity, dependent on who has overall control. A question applicable to many more issues, I know.

I like the flashbacks to Matt and Duncan’s boyhood, giving more insight into the two characters and when their old adversary from schooldays makes it personal and seeks revenge Matt and his girlfriend, Maria, are in the firing line.

I found this to be an extremely good novel, intense and dynamic, descriptively written with well-defined characters. The plot races along and held my attention completely. I look forward to reading more of Stuart Handley’s work.